Glaucoma is a serious disease that affects the human eye of varying degrees starting from blind spots in vision to losing vision completely, and today we know about Glaucoma Treatment, what is Glaucoma, symptoms of Glaucoma and Glaucoma cure.
Definition of glaucoma:
It is a defect in secretion or drainage of aqueous humor (normal eye fluid) which results in a gradual increase in intra-ocular pressure , stressing on the internal tissues of the eye, including the optic nerve, which eventually results in partial damage to the optic nerve, where the patient sees dark spots in his vision, or total damage where the patient loses his ability to see .
Who are at risk of developing glaucoma on the eye – who are at risk of contracting glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a disease that may affect any age group but as with most diseases there are those who are more at risk, namely:
1. Patients whose first-degree relatives are affected by glaucoma, where the disease can be transmitted through inheritance from the mother or father.
2. People suffering from ophthalmic diseases that may cause tightness in the angle of the eye such as farsightedness and small corneas.
3. People with eye disorders such as iritis and are over 50.
Types of Glaucoma:
1. Chronic open-angle glaucoma
Is one of the most common types of glaucoma and one of its most important causes is aging, when the ability of the eye to discharge the liquid water regularly is diminished , gradually increasing pressure on the internal tissues of the eye.
Symptoms of chronic open angle glaucoma:
The patient starts feeling that his visual field is closing in or poor quality of vision(haziness and blur).
If the patient is left untreated after the previous presentation, his visual field may be limited into one concise circle.
2. Acute closed angle glaucoma:
Among the types of glaucoma ,this is the most serious, it affects individuals with a narrow eye angle, or those who are far-sighted, and this type is characterized by abrupt sudden of complete closure of the angle of the eye, which ultimately leads to a sharp rise in eye pressure, causing serious damage to the optic nerve.
>Learn more: Symptoms of cataract and how to treat and prevent cataract ** Here **
Symptoms of acute closed angle glaucoma:
1. Severe pain in the eye
3. Nausea and vomiting
4. Blurred vision
5. Seeing rainbow colors around any light source
We strongly recommend that people who suffer from these symptoms consult a doctor quickly because it is possible to lose sight completely if the patient does not receive medical attention immediately.
3. Chronic closed angle glaucoma:
Is a of glaucoma that affects people of certain ethnic origins such as Africans or Asians, where a gradual blockage of the corner of the eye without any accompanying pain.
4. Congenital glaucoma:
Is one type of glaucoma that affects newborns or infants during their first year of life, and may be due to:
1. Inherited from a parent.
2. Mother is infected with a viral disease during the first three months of pregnancy.
3. Marriage of relatives.
Symptoms of congenital glaucoma: (Parents must notice the following):
- Increased blackness of the eye due to corneal hypertrophy
- The cornea loses its brightness and transparency
5. Secondary glaucoma:
who is at risk?
1. People with diabetic retinopathy
2. Repeated iris infections
3. Long-term use of cortisone
4. Internal eye tumors
Also may affect patients who have underwent cataract surgery, or eye infection or as a result of bleeding in the eye.
>> 5 reasons why you will go to the ophthalmologist periodically and necessary Know more than here<<
There are three known methods to treat glaucoma: medical therapy, laser therapy, surgical treatment, and determining the correct method of treatment is for the treating physician to decide, as some methods are suitable for certain cases, and other cases do not, as follows:
Glaucoma Medical Treatment:
Glaucoma is treated using certain types of eye drops , which greatly contribute to reducing the pressure on the internal tissues of the eye, as a result they improve drainage of the eye angle of the aqueous fluid, or reduce its secretion.
It should be noted that there are some drops have side effects, so you should notify your doctor if you feel the following symptoms:
1. Side effects of medical treatment of glaucoma:
1. Feeling of change in heart rate or breathing rate
2. Lack of vision
4. Eye redness
Laser treatment of glaucoma:
The laser has multiple uses in the treatment of glaucoma, including:
The reasons for using laser to treat glaucoma:
1. The prevention of the occurrence of glaucoma
2. Treatment of secondary glaucoma
3. Treatment of open-angle glaucoma
4. It is also used to neutralize some surgical threads to control the discharge of water fluid to compensate for eye pressure.
Surgical treatment of glaucoma:
Doctors resort to surgical treatment in two cases, either the failure of medical treatment and laser to improve the condition of the patient, or in the case of severe visual impairment.
The idea of surgical treatment is to find alternative ways to discharge the eye fluid to relieve pressure on the internal tissues on the eye.