Best way to care for removable dentures as it requires special care to keep them clean, stain-free. For proper denture care:
Tips for care and preservation on the dentures
- Hold the dentures with care. Don’t over bend them.
- Clean your mouth (with the dentures out), use a soft brush for your teeth and maybe a gauze or specially designed brush for your tongue, inner cheeks and mouth roof (palate).
- Clean your dentures at least once daily and after every meal. Just like your natural teeth.
- Regular checkups are required as your dentist can properly fit your denture to avoid slippage or discomfort. And to check the inside of your mouth and gums.
- If you feel that your dentures are getting loose, book an appointment immediately with your dentist as they may cause ulcers and infections.
How to clean dentures
- First soak them in clean water.
- Then use nonabrasive denture cleanser to remove all debris. Tip: don’t use the cleansers inside your mouth.
- Try soaking your dentures overnight, it keeps it moist and in-shape. Ask your dentist about the best soaking and/or cleansing solutions.
- Next morning, rinse your dentures (if you are using the soaking solution not tap water), as it may contain harmful chemicals to your gum.
Avoid these habits when you use dentures without medical advice
- Hard-bristled toothbrushes
- Strong cleaners.
- Abrasive toothpaste.
- Whitening pastes.
- Bleaching products as they destroy the dentures, especially if it contains metal parts as these products weaken the dentures and change their color, and corrodes the metal attachments.
- Hot or boiling water.